Friday, April 17, 2020

Book Review: The Millionaire Next Door - Thomas J Stanley and William D Danko

As the turmoil starts to subside, and the VIX falls back to 40 after some all time highs I'd 80, I finally have some time to go back to some general reading without having to follow current affairs like a hawk every day, so of course it is time for another book review(´。• ω •。`).

The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas Stanley and William Danko was actually recommended to me by ボーイフレンド during our first date(=`ω´=). Of course I went home and read it all within a matter of days and it proved to be more insightful than I expected.

Image result for millionaire next door

Essentially the book covers some studies that were done on households with a net worth over one million dollars and compares the behaviour and habits of Under Accumulators of Wealth and Prodigious Accumulators of Wealth. In terms of spending, PAWs are far more likely to spend significantly less than they earn and they also tend to make considerably less purchases of luxury goods and status items (・_・)ノ. The book shows surprising evidence that the supposedly wealthy people you see living in lavish mansions driving luxury vehicles are often only able to do so via debt, leaving them with a considerably reduced net worth. As someone who doesn't really indulge in luxury goods, it served as a firm reminder that the sacrifices that I was making towards my goals were worthwhile. In summary, the book demonstrates that with hard work, discipline and prudence, almost anyone living in a first world country can attain millionaire status.

It was quite eye opening to me when thinking about friends and family around me and considering what their underlying financial situation was. For instance, I have a beloved relative who inadvertently ticks all the boxes of a UAW whilst I had never noticed it in the past (〃>_<;〃)  and I have a work colleague who appears to be very low key pragmatic but is almost a textbook exemplar of a PAW. Guess I know who to go to for advice in the future╰(*´︶`*)╯ .

One surprising fact that I did also note, which turns out to make sense when you think about it, is the concept that offering financial aid to children often results in financially underperforming children who become entitled to the regular handouts. For people considering raising a child, this is also quite sobering and offers ideas as to how to raise your child to ensure they become PAWs.

For those who are interested, Thomas Stanley and his daughter Sally Stanley Fallaw have recently published a follow up of the study, The Next Millionaire Next Door. Apparently the book demonstrates that in modern times it has become even easier to grow wealth than before. No doubt I will read it in due course („• ֊ •„).

By 小福

No comments:

Post a Comment